Graphics design is a piece of visual content created by a designer to convey a message to his targeted audience. It can be simple as a logo or as complex as a UI/UX design of a website or mobile app. Graphics design is made of several layers of components linked together to form the desired layout. In this article, I’ll be discussing the basics of graphics design and How to Start a Freelance Graphics Design Business.
Freelancing means working as a self-supporting individual or a group of people to offer services while working from anywhere in the world. I’ve written an in-depth article on freelancing recently. You can check that out.
What is Graphics Design?
Graphics design can be a Profession or an activity that involves visual communication or description of a specific objective. For instance, If Graphics design is an ad design, then the goal of that design will be to attract buyers to buy some products or services. The Role of a Graphics designer in this process is to interpret the message to the audience. In the modern world, Graphics design has become an essential part of every business. Branding is a graphics design process that every business needs to go through to get an identity. The basics elements in a graphics design are:
Type of Graphic Design
There are many niches in the Graphics design industry. Starting from print media design, and logo design to web design and animation. Numerous people are offering graphic design services on freelance marketplaces. There’s still a lot of potential in the graphics design industry if you want to start a freelance graphic design business. All you have to do is select your niche and start learning, practicing, and working hard. Let’s discuss some fields of graphic design that are in demand these days.
Web design includes the layout and design of the website. The major factors that affect a website design are header, footer, color scheme, and content width. The design of a website has a direct impact on user experience and sales as well. If the design of your website is not according to the latest trends, technologies, and standards. You’ll end up getting more engagement from the user. On the other hand, If your website looks spammy with no color combination, extra-large text, and unoptimized images. Users will bounce off, considering your website spam. So make sure to hire a Professional Web Designer if you’re doing any business.
User Experience Design or User Interface design is all about improving the interaction of users with the product. Either it’s a website or a mobile application. Without an attractive UI/UX design, it is incomplete. Let’s Discuss UI and UX separately, These two terms are misunderstood by many people.
What is UI Design?
UI Stands for User Interface design. It involves the design of all the visual components of a website such as buttons, font, widgets, animations, transitions, and other elements.
The UI Designer needs to understand the nature of business for its.
What is User Experience Design?
User experience is concerned with the operation of a User Interface. UX Designer designers are responsible for building user interactions such as the behavior of buttons on hover, on click, etc.
Branding is a way of promoting a business by giving it a specific look through people can remember and identify it. Moreover, branding includes logo design, mission statement, posters, flyers, business letters, business card design, etc.
How much does a Graphics designer make?
As a freelance graphic designer, you charge your client according to the nature of the job and your experience in that field. For example, If you’re an absolute beginner, you may charge $5 for a logo but after a few years, you’ll get comfortable designing a logo and your speed will also be increased. At that time, you’ll be able to charge $50 or $100 for a logo.
How to Start Freelance Graphics Designing?
Firstly, You have to choose your niche. Choose something that you’re comfortable working with. Don’t start working on everything in the beginning. That way, you’ll not be able to master anything. Focus on a smaller niche, such as Website UI/ UX Design. Secondly, You have to practice as much as you can and build a strong portfolio. Dribble and Behance are two great websites to create a portfolio on.
How learn Graphic Designing?
For a beginner, I always recommend going for a free source of learning. You’ll find a lot of Graphics designing courses on YouTube. In addition, do research on Google to find and read articles on Graphics design. Here are some popular graphics design YouTube channels that will help you start learning.
- Tutvid is a great YouTube channel for learning stuff like logo design, Photoshop tips and tricks, photoshop background removal and Photoshop beginners guide on how to use Photoshop, etc.
- GFX Mentor has amazing in-depth tutorials on Adobe Illustrator, how to use, photo editing, and other tutorials related to graphics design and video editing. This channel gained popularity due to its Urdu/ Hindi Content that makes it easier for the people watching from Pakistan, India Bangladesh, etc.
- The Simple Designer teaches how to make complex graphics design using simple methodologies. Definitely worth checking out If you want to learn from a Professional Designer.
There are a lot of other YouTube channels as well. Do your own research and start learning.
Premium courses for Graphic Designing
It’s also worth enrolling in a premium Graphics design course if you want to learn step by step. Premium courses are much easier to understand because they start at a point where the student knows nothing about graphics design and takes it to the advanced level by following a syllabus. Udemy, LinkedIn Learning, and Skillshare are great sources of Premium Graphics design courses.
Importance of Graphics Design Portfolio
If you have a ton of experience in the graphics design industry, but you have no proof of it, and you didn’t build a portfolio for yourself, then you’ll not get hired by anyone. That’s why I always recommend starting building your portfolio from day 1 on any of the websites I mentioned earlier, if you can afford you should get a Personal Portfolio Website just like we developed for our client Lawrence.
Start Offering Graphic Design Services
You can move on and gain offering services once you’re comfortable enough with designing stuff and have a portfolio to show what you’re capable of. You can get freelance graphics designer jobs in several ways.
- Local Business: Market your skills in the local market using digital and print media. have one-on-one communication with the businesses and let them know how you can improve their business with your skills.
- Freelance website: I’ve mentioned several Freelance websites in my Recent Article. You can check that out and work on those platforms.
- YouTube: You can make money from YouTube creating tutorials just like the channels I mentioned earlier.
- Social Media: Social media platforms have a huge number of jobs opportunities being listed by Businesses and individuals. Contact them and get hired. You can make money from Instagram, YouTube, and other social media platforms and build connections with Professionals to keep jobs coming.
- Remote Jobs are trending over the past couple of years due to Covid. Read more about them in the article that I’ve written recently.
There are a thousand ways of earning money as a freelance graphics designer. You should be an expert in your skills, communication, and marketing. Opportunities are countless whether in the local market, on social media, or international clients.