Graphic design has become an important part of our life. It is used in almost every field of life to convey a message or promote products etc. Lets What is Graphic designers, what do graphic designers do and the top 5 websites to freelance for Graphic Designers
Top 5 Websites to Freelance for Graphic Designers
Freelance marketplaces are a great source of earnings for freelancers in every field. There are several freelance marketplaces. Some of them are specifically focused on micro-niches such as designing, while others are all-rounder with a lot of job opportunities and freelancers for hire.
It is a great platform with millions of creative and technical jobs being posted by Professional clients all over the world. Furthermore, It is recommended for beginners and Seniors as well. In the beginning, you may need to struggle with the clients, but once you build your profile with a good amount of 5-star reviews. It will be easy for you to get more jobs.
99Design is another great platforms for graphics designer to share their work on the platforms. The platform provide 90 different types of graphic designs. Moreover, It gained popularity due to the quality of work that freelancers are providing.
Fiverr become popular due to its $5 services. It is highly recommended for junior to get started with freelancing. The marketplace is getting over saturated and getting orders is a bit hard for beginners. However, you can check one of my articles about Fiverr tips. The ranking on fiverr is hard to maintain so I recommend you get regular orders if you’re receiving enough traffic. Your gigs will be de ranked if you don’t accept orders for a while.
Toptal is one of the few platforms with high-paying Professional clients. As a designer, it will not be easy for you to get into Toptal because their screening process is very hard and they claim their marketplace contain world’s top 3% freelancers. Its defiantly worth preparing for such amazing platforms.
Another great freelance marketplace specifically focused on designing niche. The website is divided into several micro niches such as web design, logo design etc. Its worth joining this platform to freelance for graphic designers.
What are Graphic Designer?
A graphic designer is a person who is capable of converting a message into a visual piece of content. They use several elements such as lines, shapes, color, and typography to achieve the desired design. Whether its purpose is publishing, printing, or using electronic media. For example, the ads we see daily on Facebook, promotion banners in marketplaces, and even job announcements graphic designs. Furthermore, Graphic designers sketch with hand or graphics design software to get their job done. However, Some experts first practice with pen and paper then use software to finalize the design
What does Graphic Designers do?
As a graphic designer, you may have a single duty to create graphics for your employer or may have several duties. But the one main task that you always have to do is to convey a message. In a simpler way using visual content. The duties of a graphic designer are
- Communicate to the client and his purpose of using graphic design
- Creating design according to the requirement and goal.
- Manage multiple clients at once
- Graphic designing for the company you’re working with
- Freelance for graphic design, to get more clients.
Graphic designing job titles
In graphics design, there are a lot of job titles. But I’ll discuss a few of them that are most in-demand these days.
- Creative Director: As a creative director. you’ll be responsible for leading a team and assigning them tasks, and getting jobs done related to graphic design.
- Logo Designer: As a logo designer. You’ll specifically work to create and revamp logos for companies, individuals, and agencies. Logos can be minimal, cartoon, retro-style, etc.
- Brand Identity: brand identity involves a complete graphic responsibility for a company from logo design, business letter design, packages, social media posts etc.
- Web Design: Web designing is specifically focused on designing and improving the User interface design and User Experience design
Graphic Designer types
Graphic designers are divided into 3 types. You can be any of these according to your goals, expertise, and comfort Once you master your skills and ability to do creative designing.
In-house Graphic Designer
An in-house graphic designer or on-site graphic designer. A company hires you to create graphics for them or their clients. It will be a full-time role to whether creative visual content to represent that company or you’ll do graphics designing for several clients each day as a part of an agency.
- Stable Income
- Time to spend time
- No need to worry about getting clients
- Less Salary
- Tough routine
- Excessive workload
Freelance for Graphic Designers
You can start your career as a freelance graphic designer. There are several freelance marketplaces where you can create and start selling your skills. Moreover, you can hire a group of graphics designers and assign tasks to them each day and start your own freelance graphic design business.
- Less workload
- Manage your team from anywhere
- Huge earning potential
- Unstable income
- No time to spend with family
- Need to struggle to get more clients
Graphic Design Agencies
You can set up your own agency and hire in-house or remote workers to work for you and your clients. To become an agency first you need to master the skills, of communication and marketing, so you can easily hook up clients.
- More earning
- Less designing work to do personally
- You’ll become a brand after a few years of hard work
- Unstable income
- No time to spend with family
- The team management could be hard for you
How to become Graphic Designer
To become a graphic designer, first you need to master the basics of design, graphic designer app, and choose a micro-niche. The reason behind that is if you focus on a micro-niche, you’ll be able to master it way earlier. For instance, if you like logo designing you’ll specifically study logos, and their types and learn logo designing tools like Adobe Illustrator. Moreover, there are a lot of Premium logo design courses out there to start your journey if you’re willing to invest. However, free learning sources would be enough for you if you’re really passionate.
Graphic designer free Course
Youtube is one of the best sources of learning. In one of my previous articles, I mentioned some of the best youtube channels. you can choose one and start learning.
Best Graphic Designer app/ software
There is a huge list of graphic designer apps and software out there that you can explore and use.
- Adobe Photoshop is one of the best graphic designing software that you can use. No matter who you’re. A beginner or a pro, Photoshop is an essential tool that you need in your daily routine.
- Adobe Illustrator is another great tool used, specifically used for the illustrator of vector graphics.
- Figma is used mostly by UI and UX Designers to create prototypes to web apps and mobile apps.
- Adobe XD is an alternative to Figma by Adobe. Its has a similar feature that allows UI UX designers to design and freelance for graphic designing.
Portfolio for a graphic designer
The portfolio is an important part of the business if you want to survive and compete in the market. If you want to pitch to clients, you need a strong portfolio representing your previous work and experience. The best way of creating a portfolio is to get a portfolio website specifically representing your business. You can hire a freelancer or an agency to develop a portfolio website for you.
To end this article, I would say there are a lot of freelance marketplaces and even opportunities for graphics design jobs in the local market if you’re skilled enough to get jobs done and find more clients.