Did you know that Pakistan ranks 4th in freelancing? With the rising number of freelancers, you might be asking yourself how to start freelancing in Pakistan for beginners.
As a beginner, there are several key considerations to keep in mind before diving into the world of freelancing. While getting started is relatively easy, maintaining consistency and success can be a challenge, as competition is fierce. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll address all your questions on how to start freelancing in Pakistan as a beginner. With the right knowledge and strategies, you can not only enter the freelancing arena but also boost your financial prospects.
In this article, we’ll solve all your unanswered queries on how to start freelancing in Pakistan as a beginner. So, you can also challenge and diversify your financial status.
What Is Freelancing?
Freelancing is when you are working as a sole proprietor either internationally or locally, which means you’re your boss. As a freelancer, you can also set up your own business in Pakistan i.e., a software house or an agency.
To start freelancing, you must have a skill or service to sell. You can take courses from YouTube, and start working for locals in the initial stage.
Freelancers from Pakistan have gained recognition on platforms like Upwork and Fiverr, with many achieving top-rated or top-rated plus statuses. The exportation of IT services has also experienced significant growth in Pakistan, becoming one of the nation’s major exports. In the fiscal year 2023, Pakistani freelancers collectively earned approximately $400 million, establishing freelancing as a lucrative income source in the country.
Furthermore, freelancing has become a whole career in Pakistan. People here are more into online earning. The exportation of IT services has also shown great growth in the last few years in Pakistan, which is also one of the major exports of Pakistan.
How To Start Freelancing In Pakistan With No Experience?
Experience is mandatory in every workspace. However, if you have no experience, you can easily gain it by working for local clients. You must have the experience to prove your abilities to clients whom you’re planning to work with. You have required enough experience to start freelancing on a site such as Upwork.
Moreover, you should also learn the basics and ethics of freelancing. You must master your skills and gain confidence before starting work on a project. It’s like stepping up a stair. You have to set goals and objectives in your freelancing journey.
Is freelancing in Pakistan worth it? Of course, it does. As we have mentioned, freelancing has skyrocketed in the last few years in Pakistan. It has changed financial issues for most of the people in Pakistan. After the Covid-19 pandemic, freelancing has got populated with students and adults from all around the country due to a lack of jobs.
Why Freelancing in Pakistan? is it worth it?
Absolutely! Freelancing has witnessed exponential growth in Pakistan in recent years, transforming the financial circumstances of many individuals. The COVID-19 pandemic prompted a surge in freelancing among students and adults across the country due to a shortage of traditional job opportunities. One of the primary drivers for people embracing freelancing in Pakistan is the country’s economic challenges, including currency devaluation. Freelancing offers an alternative to office-based jobs, providing flexibility, autonomy, and income potential.
Although, freelancing is a choice. It depends on the individual. It requires consistency, diligence, and time management. As a beginner, you can create short goals daily and work on them.
Some of the best freelancing websites in Pakistan are:
- People Per Hour
- Freelance writing gigs
Most of the people here prefer working on Upwork and Fiverr. Most Pakistanis are working in Content Writing, Blockchain, Web Development, and IT. Freelancing typing jobs are also popular in this country.
How Much Does A Beginner Freelancer Earn In Pakistan?
According to Indeed, a beginner freelancer earns around 36K PKR per month, however, it depends on the workload and consistency. Individuals are also making millions by offering different skill sets on freelance platforms.
Although, I started freelancing as a WordPress Developer. As for the initial stage, I made around $200 in the first three months of freelancing on Upwork (after gaining experience by working for local clients). Well, it’s average for a developer to make that much in Pakistan.
After years of experience, my fellow freelancers are comfortably making 6-figures a month, which is a good amount of money. As said, freelancing is a business, which means the income won’t be constant every month. It may not get you profit every time.
How to do Freelancing in Pakistan.Things To Keep In Mind.
Embarking on a freelancing journey in Pakistan can be a lucrative and flexible career choice. However, to thrive in this competitive landscape, it’s essential to consider several key factors. In this guide, we’ll explore the critical aspects you need to keep in mind as you venture into freelancing in Pakistan.
From assessing your skills and building an online presence to setting competitive rates and staying organized, we’ll provide valuable insights to help you navigate this dynamic field successfully. Whether you’re a beginner or looking to enhance your freelancing career, these essential tips will pave the way for your success in the world of freelancing in Pakistan.
Learn before you start
Before you take your first step into the world of freelancing, it’s essential to understand that success in this field often hinges on your skills and expertise. Freelancing is not merely a side hustle; it’s a career path that requires dedication, continuous learning, and mastery of your chosen skills. Here’s why learning and mastering skills before offering your services are crucial for a thriving freelancing career.
First and foremost, having a solid foundation of skills is what sets you apart in the competitive freelancing marketplace. Clients seek freelancers who can provide exceptional value through their expertise. Whether you’re a content writer, graphic designer, web developer, or any other professional, honing your craft is the key to delivering high-quality work that satisfies your clients’ needs.
Freelancing courses in Pakistan
Pakistan’s freelancing landscape continues to thrive, offering countless opportunities for individuals to explore the world of remote work. If you’re looking to kickstart or enhance your freelancing career, enrolling in the right courses can provide you with a competitive edge. There are several platforms and YouTube channels for freelancing in Pakistan that can help you acquire the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in this dynamic field. Here are some of them:
- National Freelance Training Program
- e-Rozgaar – Freelancing Training Program
- DigiSkills Freelancing Course
- Freelancing Course by Hisham Sarwar
Identifying your niche
One of the critical steps in establishing a successful freelancing career is identifying your niche. Your niche defines your specialization, setting you apart from the competition and helping you target the right clients.
Build your online presence
If you want to grow your freelancing business, then your online presence matters a lot.
Consider yourself as a client, would you hire someone without getting an idea of their work? Of course, you won’t. A freelancer needs to have a well-defined portfolio. If you are a writer, you can create and publish your samples on Medium without paying anything in return. If you’re designer or developer, you can showcase your on websites like Behance, Dribbble or get a Personal Portfolio Website to professionally showcase your work.
You can mention your skills, contact, and personal information to make an attractive portfolio so that potential clients can contact you directly.
Joining Freelancing Platforms in Pakistan
Do you know how to start freelancing in Pakistan? Joining freelancing platforms is the first crucial step towards establishing a successful freelancing career in Pakistan. These platforms provide a marketplace where freelancers can showcase their skills, connect with clients, and secure projects from around the world.
Here are some of the best freelance platforms:
- Upwork: Upwork is one of the largest and most well-known freelance platforms in the world. It offers a wide range of job categories, including web development, writing, design, marketing, and more. Upwork allows freelancers to create profiles, bid on projects, and work with clients on a secure platform.
- Fiverr: Fiverr is a popular platform known for its gig-based approach. Freelancers create “gigs” or service listings with fixed prices, making it easy for clients to find and hire them. Fiverr covers various categories, including graphic design, writing, video editing, and digital marketing.
- Freelancer.com: Freelancer.com is another well-established platform where freelancers can find projects in areas like web development, design, writing, and more. It offers both fixed-price and hourly jobs, and freelancers can bid on projects to win work.
- Guru: Guru is a platform that caters to a wide range of freelancers, from developers and designers to writers and virtual assistants. It provides tools for creating proposals, managing projects, and receiving payments securely.
- Toptal: Toptal is known for its high-quality talent pool, specializing in connecting top freelancers with clients seeking expert-level skills. It focuses on development, design, project management, and finance-related roles.
- PeoplePerHour: PeoplePerHour is a platform that offers freelancers the opportunity to find jobs in web development, design, content creation, and various other fields. It allows freelancers to create “hourlies,” which are predefined services with fixed prices.
- 99designs: If you’re a graphic designer, 99designs is a specialized platform that focuses exclusively on design-related projects. Clients can host design contests, and freelancers submit their work for consideration.
- Toogit: Toogit is a freelancing platform that caters to various industries, including programming, writing, design, and more. It offers a unique feature where freelancers can set their hourly rates and offer specialized services.
- Craigslist: While not a dedicated freelancing platform, Craigslist’s “Gigs” section often features freelance job listings. It’s especially useful for finding local opportunities or one-time gigs.
- LinkedIn ProFinder: If you have a LinkedIn profile, you can explore ProFinder, a platform that connects freelancers with clients seeking professional services. It’s particularly effective for networking and finding clients within your professional network.
Remember that the best freelance platform for you depends on your skills, goals, and preferences. It’s a good idea to explore multiple platforms and create profiles that highlight your expertise and experience to maximize your chances of finding suitable projects and clients.
Maintain Good Relationships with Clients
In Pakistan, it would be difficult for you to maintain international clients from Europe or the USA because of time zones. However, if you manage to get one, make sure you maintain a good relationship with them by providing them with exquisite work before deadlines and good communication.
Maintaining strong and positive relationships with your clients is a cornerstone of freelancing success. It goes beyond delivering quality work; it’s about nurturing trust, communication, and professionalism throughout your freelance journey. Here’s why it matters:
- Trust and Repeat Business: When clients trust you, they’re more likely to return for future projects. Building a reputation for reliability and consistency can lead to a steady stream of work without the need for extensive marketing efforts.
- Referrals: Happy clients are not just repeat customers; they can also become your advocates. They may refer you to other businesses or colleagues in need of your services, expanding your client base through word-of-mouth recommendations.
- Positive Reviews and Ratings: In the world of freelancing platforms, positive reviews and high ratings are your currency. Satisfied clients are more likely to leave glowing feedback, which, in turn, boosts your profile’s visibility and attracts new clients.
- Smoother Collaboration: Effective communication and a good working relationship make projects run more smoothly. Clients who trust and respect you are more likely to provide clear project details, respond promptly to queries, and provide constructive feedback.
- Flexibility and Feedback: Maintaining a positive rapport with clients can lead to open and honest communication. This allows you to adapt to changes or address issues as they arise, fostering a collaborative environment that benefits both parties.
- Conflict Resolution: Sometimes, conflicts or misunderstandings can occur during a project. A strong client relationship provides a foundation for resolving these issues amicably and professionally, ensuring that projects stay on track.
In summary, maintaining good relationships with clients is not just a nicety; it’s an essential aspect of your freelancing career. Building trust, fostering open communication, and consistently delivering quality work are key ingredients for long-term success in the freelancing world.
Connecting with other Freelancers
Connecting with fellow freelancers is a crucial step in your freelancing journey. It opens doors to collaboration, referrals, knowledge sharing, and emotional support. These connections enhance your career prospects and make your freelancing experience more rewarding.
Certainly, here are some ways you can connect with other freelancers:
- Freelancing Platforms: Many freelancing platforms have forums or community sections where you can interact with other freelancers in your niche.
- Social Media: Join freelancing groups or communities on platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter to connect with like-minded professionals.
- Networking Events: Attend freelancing meetups, conferences, or webinars, both in-person and online, to network with fellow freelancers.
- Freelancer Associations: Some countries or regions have freelancer associations or groups that offer networking opportunities.
- Online Forums: Participate in industry-specific forums and discussion boards where freelancers share insights and advice.
- Professional Organizations: Join professional organizations related to your field, where you can connect with experienced freelancers.
- Cold Outreach: Reach out to freelancers whose work you admire or who operate in similar niches. A simple email or message expressing your interest in connecting can lead to valuable relationships.
- Collaboration Platforms: Platforms like Slack or Discord have freelancing communities where you can interact with peers.
- Freelancing Workshops: Attend online workshops or webinars hosted by experienced freelancers, which often include networking opportunities.
- Online Courses: Enroll in courses related to your niche and connect with fellow students who may also be freelancers.
Remember that building meaningful connections takes time and effort. Be genuine in your interactions, offer help when you can, and actively participate in discussions to make the most of your networking efforts.
Setting your Rates
Before setting your rate for freelance work, search for the market rate and then set your own rate according to your skills and demand. For example, if you are a graphic designer then research the market rates for graphic designers in your area and use this information to determine your own rates. Your work quality is very effective in setting your rate and helping you out in finding good job opportunities.
Manage your Finances
As the inflation rate is increasing, it is necessary to manage your finances to become a successful freelancer. Mention your monthly income and expenditure and then create a budget. Different tools are available which will help you to track your expenses and income.
Upgrading your skills
If you want in a queue of successful freelancers, then upgrade your freelancing skills by attending courses and workshops from freelance experts. In this way, you can boost your skills and find freelancing jobs according to demand on the freelance marketplace.
This is the most important thing you need to know to start freelancing in Pakistan. You should strictly follow your schedule whether it’s weekly or daily. For this, you will use the project management tool for tracking your tasks, projects, and work hours. Your workplace is organized to stay focused and give your best services to attract clients.
Be Socially Active
Software houses and agencies here in Pakistan are always looking for remote workers. For this, they contact freelancers via social media platforms like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram. I also got multiple offers from software houses in Karachi through LinkedIn (rejected due to workload). You can join Facebook groups and allow them to notice your presence by posting valuable tips, you can do the same on LinkedIn.
Become an Expert
As discussed, freelancing is at its peak in Pakistan, which means there is tough competition. To compete in this, you’ll need to practice your skillset. There will be rejections in this journey, but you’ll need to learn and patch your mistakes.
Top Skills for Freelance career in Pakistan
Most of you might be asking yourself which skill is the best for freelancing in Pakistan. Here is the list of top skills to focus on to start freelancing in Pakistan. Let’s hear them, respectively.
Freelance Content Writer
Content Writing is one of the popular skills in Pakistan to learn, where individuals are making a handful of money by writing blogs and articles for foreign clients. Freelance writing is the most demanding and highly paid service on freelancing sites. The skill is easy to learn if you have a good grip on your English language. Freelance Writing Gigs is one of the best freelancing platforms to find writing projects.
Freelance Graphic design
People in Pakistan are creative-minded. Most of the individuals are skilled in Photoshop, Illustrator, and all kinds of graphic design software. Graphic designing is also a major skill to learn in Pakistan for freelancing. The graphic designer can offer freelancing services on top freelancing websites and earn money online.
Freelance Web Development
At last, copywriting is also a lucrative skill to learn as a new freelancer in Pakistan to earn money online. It is one of the most popular skills all around the world. However, learning copywriting is not everyone’s game. It will require time and patience.
Freelance Digital Marketing
With businesses vying for online visibility, digital marketing skills are valuable. Specializations in SEO, social media marketing, email marketing, and pay-per-click (PPC) advertising can lead to diverse projects.
Freelance Video Editor
As video content gains prominence, video editors and producers are sought after. Skills in video editing, animation, and motion graphics are valuable assets.
Mobile App Development
Mobile app developers are in demand due to the surge in mobile technology. Specializing in iOS, Android, or cross-platform app development can lead to rewarding freelance projects.
Social Media Management
Managing social media accounts, creating engaging content, and implementing social media strategies are critical skills for businesses seeking an online presence.
Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
With the growing interest in blockchain technology and cryptocurrency, freelancers with expertise in this niche are well-positioned for specialized projects.
Pros And Cons Of Freelancing In Pakistan
- You will have your workspace.
- Lucrative income and high-paying clients.
- You will have your own choice of whom you want to work with or not.
- It might affect your physical health due to constant sitting.
- There can be a lot of workloads at the same time.
- In Pakistan, you’ll need to work during the night times for foreign clients. It is one of the major cons here.
Soft Skills As A Freelancer
Here is the list of soft skills, which I think a freelancer must have: –
As said, communication skills are the key to being a successful freelancer. If you are lacking in this category, make sure you practice it. You can connect with a professional freelancer through good communication skills.
As a freelancer, you’ll often be loaded with the bulk of work. For that, you must know proper time management, or else, you’ll miss your deadlines.
If your business starts to grow, you will require team members to handle the major tasks. For that, you should have good leadership and teamwork skills.
In the above draft, we have discussed how to start freelancing in Pakistan as a beginner in a brief manner. Soft skills are vital for a successful journey in this path as well as expertise in your niche.
If you want to read more articles related to making money and freelancing, make sure to visit Farazdev.com!